I have moved out of the world of slow cooker stews and into the realm of desserts. My lack of an oven is requiring this. The kitchen is making progress daily, albeit slow. The doorways has been moved. The wiring is near completion. The biggest setbacks of the week: our cabinets have turned out to be particleboard held together by glue (not gonna work) and lack of companies wanting to ship large chunks of butcher block counter tops to Alaska. They will ship to the lower 48 states, and they will ship internationally, but if you are in the death zone of Alaska or Hawaii you are expected to down your own trees as it was likely your choice to live in such rural and inaccessible reaches.
Whatevs, I’ll just make some brownies, fudgy chocolate things fix all. I have used the microwave and slow cooker only for this. I recommend making a large aluminum foil liner with a collar that extends up the sides. This does more than one task, making cleanup of the insert in your bathroom sink so much easier, and allowing easy removal and even rotation of cooking brownies, if needed. My slow cooker has hot spots that seem to be on either end so I added an extra foil buffer there. These brownies also offer something for everyone, a softer gooey center (or gungy as the husband likes to say) and more cooked cake like brownies along the edges.
Adapted from Martha Stewart Slow Cooker Triple Chocolate Brownies
Yield: 12-14 brownies
Total time: 3 1/2 hours
- Oil for greasing insert of slow cooker
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 8 ounces bittersweet (70%) chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large free range eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons cherry brandy*
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup salted caramel sauce (you can do homemade, but alas I did store bought)
- Line slow cooker insert with foil and brush lightly with oil, turn onto low.
- In a small bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, mix well to combine.
- In large microwave safe bowl combine chopped chocolate and butter. Microwave in 20-30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted.
- Add sugar to melted chocolate, stir to combine. Add in eggs and stir.
- Add flour mixture, mix briefly, add chocolate chips and brandy, stirring just until it comes together. Don’t overmix.
- Pour brownie mix into slow cooker. Cook on low until mostly cooked through, about 2-2 1/2 hours, but will vary depending on your slow cooker.
- Heat up salted caramel until pourable, pour about half over brownies in the slow cooker and finish cooking. Remove lid for last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Remove foil liner from slow cooker and let cool on a wire rack for about 1 hour, or cut into them immediately and deal with a messy gooey knife and maybe a burnt finger. Spoon the rest of salted caramel sauce over top
- Trim off any edges that may have overcooked. Slice into 12-14 equal portions, may be served warm or at room temperature.
*Note: My cherry brandy was made by taking a 12 ounce jar, filling with tart cherries, then filling jar with brandy. Let it sit in the fridge for a couple weeks. The brandy is great for flavoring things, adding to a cocktail. The husband uses the cherries for Manhattans, or ice cream sundaes. You can use regular brandy, bourbon, espresso or whatever sounds good to you.